Seven Bold Predictions About ChatGPT’s Impact on Tourism
ChatGPT is the most popular IT topic at present, and the discussion heat it brings is very rare in the Internet industry in recent years. It marks the return of artificial intelligence technology, which was once overwhelmed by more new concepts (such as metaverse). The momentum returned to the public eye.
In the face of the huge wave that ChatGPT has set off in the entire Internet industry, it is of practical significance to predict its possible impact on the tourism industry. After all, the tourism industry has not even fully completed the digital transformation and it may face a new wave from digitalization to intelligence, and such a leap forward seems to be in sight.
- It is foreseeable that the current major mobile information public service platforms in destinations, such as various OTAs, small programs, APPs, etc., will be replaced by ChatGPT or similar applications. Whether it is the official website of the destination, or various mobile apps that are currently popular, including Xiaohongshu(the Little Red Book) and Douyin, it often takes a lot of energy for users to read content and make decisions. If ChatGPT-like applications can really provide accurate destination tourism information in a question-and-answer method, it will have a major impact on the experience of tourists in obtaining information.
- ChatGPT will not be inferior to ordinary tour guides, and it will be interactive and possesses almost borderless knowledge, not limited by time, space, price, and language. The trend of ordinary tour guides being replaced seems irreversible.
- The value of travel agencies especially outbound travel agencies may be greatly weakened after ChatGPT matures. When a service model based on ChatGPT-like AI will be formed, it is entirely possible to provide meticulous services from online to offline.
- AI-based travel personal assistants may become a reality.
- The future destination marketing may be based on ChatGPT’s AI learning algorithm design standard information disclosure method, so that it can be better discovered by ChatGPT and recommended to users as a basis for influencing users’ travel decisions.
- OTAs may lose their role as the main entrance for tourists to travel and users may book scenic spots, hotels, air tickets, etc. directly from ChatGPT.
- For tourism planning, market analysis, and even policy formulation, you can first obtain basic opinions and directions from ChatGPT. Maybe by then, how to better use ChatGPT-like AI tools to improve the quality and efficiency of work is also a necessary skill for consulting talents.
Author: School of Tourism Science, Beijing International Studies University